Sunday, October 25, 2009

Gifts

So, I had to tell Tori to not look at my blog for awhile so I could share with you all what I have been up to. I'm not worried about Meg...she probably forgot I even have a blog.

This year for Christmas I decided to make both girls Queen size Quilts!

So I enlisted John to help with the rotary cutting of the fat quarters. I wanted him to be involved as much as possible. He is the perfect man for the job because he is so meticulous & methodical.

I spent 6 hours on Saturday strip piecing & pressing and all I have are 3 complete 16 inch squares. I need 30! That's just for 1 quilt. I do have 4 strip piece blocks that are sewn and need to be cut and then sewn into a block....those 4 blocks will make 8, 16 inch blocks. I will finish those on Sunday.

Here is the material I chose.


I plan on showing some of the blocks this week. I'm really excited about these quilts. It's gonna take up all my free time but my girls are worth it!

I am a quilter and my house is in pieces.

18 comments:

mommakin said...

Oh I can't wait to see your progress! I quilted for a while - it is quite addictive, no? Two queen sized quilts before Christmas - that is - wow - pretty ambitious!!! I know you can do it, though!

Bill S. said...

I remember my home growing up was also "in pieces." My mother was a quilter and many times I was enlisted to help "tie" the quilt. Good luck - they will be cherished.

Random WAHM Thoughts said...

awww.. that is SOO sweet! i LOVE your materials! (can you be my mom on christmas? hee hee). i'm pretty sure your girls are gonna love it. ;)

Susie said...

I can't wait to see the finished products!!

Heather said...

You are the best mom ever. I know your girls will love their quilts and treasure them forever. What a lovely keepsake, for your daughters, and their daughters, and so on.

Enjoy the process with John; I can't imagine Joe helping me with a project like that. That's awesome!

SparkleFarkel said...

What tender, loving gifts you're making--and cozy, too! Christmas morning will be extra-special at your house this year! Santa might even dole you out some pointy ears and ask you to join his staff!

Anonymous said...

You are awesome! I need to get going on my homemade gifts for people.

Betty W said...

This sounds like soooooo much work!! I would never be able to finish something on this magnitude! But you go girl!! I can´t wait to see the progress your making, and I´m sure the girls will LOVE their gift!

Becky said...

Those are going to be so neat! I can't wait to see how they turn out! Your girls are going to LOVE them and treasure them always:)

Mercedes said...

That is a wonderful gift! I am a beginner quilter. There is no way I could have gotten that much done that fast. I love the fabric!

Lori said...

What wonderful gifts you are doing for them! I can't wait to see more!

Melody said...

I will be sending positive energies your way! Good luck! :-)

Copper's Fox said...

I absolutely LOVE your color choices!!! I'm a quilter too and did one queen size log cabin for my mother in law two years ago.... one was enough! So I will definitely be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Fox

Michelle said...

The fabric is beautiful. They will love them as much as you love making them. Can't wait to see what they look like.

Preston said...

How very exciting. Your girls are very lucky. Those are going to be beautiful quilts!

Stephanie said...

Since I have so much time on my hands lately, this is something I have been curious about! I would love to know more about it and how you do it! The fabric looks beautiful by the way!!!

Yankee Girl said...

That is so cool!

My mom quilts and is working on a tshirt quilt for my husband. I think quilts are so cool and they will make an awesome gift!

Post pics when they are completed!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful idea and such pretty fabrics. The girls will love them. You are so gifted with creativity.
Nell