Sunday, August 23, 2009

First week

The first week back to school (well, 3 days) went great!

Here are before & after pictures of my nasty bus. Which by the way is 13 years old, 66 passenger, air brakes, flat nose, and drives totally different then my little 12 passenger/2 wheel chair bus I had for 16 years.

This bus was so nasty! The steering wheel was sticky....there was so much dirt and candy wrappers under the brake pedals. The seat belt had sticky crap on it too.

Here it is clean!! It only took me 1 hour to clean this area alone!!! I used SO much Clorox.

This is what it looks like over every window. Writing all over the bus! It's permanent.....I could not get it off!

Here I am afterward sweating my butt off. My clothes were totally soaked all the way. But, the bus is CLEAN!!

My bus run is way more different then I imagined it would be. I am so use to having these sweet children who get on the bus with a huge grin and acknowledge me when I say good morning to them and sit quietly.

The elementary kids are wonderful (well, most of them....I have 3 or 4 that I can see are going to give me trouble). I have this one little boy, Joshua who gives me a hug when he gets on and off the bus. He never says a word...just smiles and hugs me. It makes my heart melt! Day 2 and 3 I had 1 child accidentally get on my bus...day 2 I told the little boy I was going to have to take him back to his school and momma would come get him.....he started bawling....I'm talking BIG tears....Oh my goodness.....I didn't know what to do! He kept saying, "I know where I live" so I said, "Where?" he said, "I live in a brown house with a blue van" awe, that was so sweet but doesn't help me at all!! His grandma was waiting at the school when we arrived. Day 3 I had a little girl get on the bus....at the end of the route I looked at her and said, "why didn't you get off at your stop?" She replied, "I live over there" pointing across the tracks to the school. So I took her back to the school and found out she is a Walker....she literally lives right next door to the school!!! I can't wait to learn faces and names so that doesn't continue to happen.

Middle school route.....well, let's just say the ones who know me are so sweet to me......the others won't acknowledge me At. All. They are fairly quiet in the morning.....but come afternoon and they are excited school is out and ready to be home....they are SO LOUD!!!! They get up and switch seats and ignore me when I tell them to sit down. I think some of them are trying my patience.

I'm getting use to driving a big bus.....my body is so sore from using muscle I haven't used in awhile. Especially my right calf from smashing on the accelerator pedal (pedal slants and you have to push down really hard) my back from turning the huge steering wheel and my neck and arms from holding on to that steering wheel (actually that's probably from stress!) :)
Good thing is I'm not stressed anymore and I have become comfortable with the bus!!


This is the year of "NEW" for me. New bus, new classroom, new speech therapist, new principal, and new kids!

I'm loving working at the school this year!!! Everything is so relaxed and upbeat! I love my new students....they are a hoot! The therapist is awesome....he is going to be fun to work under. The classroom is great and the principal is wonderful....I really like her a lot!

Now, If my body will hurry up and adjust to the 10 hour days it will all be good!! I went to bed Friday and slept for 12 hours!! That is something I never do.

It is going to be an awesome year!

19 comments:

Susie said...

I am so glad that it isn't as bad as you thought it was going to be:-) I hope you have a great year!

SparkleFarkel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SparkleFarkel said...

"This bus IS CLEAN!" Now that it is, I think you should name him: Arnold, as in Zwiefel! He was a clean pig, too! Happy trails this new school year!

SparkleFarkel said...

P.S. Your clean-up deserves a pat on the back! Better yet, a gold star!

Betty W said...

I love your positive, upbeat attitude! That will carry you through the long day. Of course it will be hard sometimes, but you certainly have the right attitude to do it.
You did good cleaning the bus! Hope you have a terrific school year!!

Becky said...

Wow! That bus looks great! And what a workout you must have gotten cleaning it!! It is kindof like a right of passage, and now that is YOUR bus:)

Our school week starts next week! Tatum is a SOPHMORE, and starts Wednesday and the boys start Thursday..6th and 3rd grade respectively.
Me and Summer have got BIG plans on whipping this house back into shape, lol! It is kindof looking like that bus!!

mommakin said...

That bus looks GREAT!!! You are so dedicated! It is so great to see you so excited about the year!

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

You have such a positive outlook on life that I knew it would turn out fine! Good luck on turning the naughties to your way of thinkin!

Email me your address so I can send you the books you won!!!

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You have a great attitude and the cleaned up bus looks soooo much better.

Middle schoolers - that's a hard age. I'm glad my children are all past it.

The Wife O Riley said...

Good for you for imbracing change! Most people would hide their heads.

That is a beautiful clean bus that demands respect!

Yankee Girl said...

I'm so excited that things are working out! Hopefully you will have a great year!

April said...

So glad to hear that things are working out, Betty! Whew...that was one nasty bus! I'm sure the rest of the year will be GREAT!

Beths Blog said...

Betty, Sounds like a lot of change but also sounds like some good change. I can just see God using you to touch the lives of some of these kids. Enjoy every moment and love the unloveable. I miss you and hope we can get together some day!!!!!!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Geez, that bus looked like a crime scene! I'm glad its going well. You have such a great attitude! I don't know how you do it but I bet you're great at it.

Rene said...

Hey girl! Wanna come clean my car? You have some mad vehicle cleaning skilz!!

Big hugs and best wishes for a wonderful school year!

Rene

Shannon said...

Glad my little dumpling is not one of those 'trying' you on your bus. If you see him around NWMS keep him in check for me.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Ms. Forrest. She and Mr. Harper both were at SHMS when Kody was there. She saw us in the hallway at orientation and said loundly halfway down the hall..."Don't tell me I'm gonna have another Sanders". She met Carson and we proceeded to tell him that she puts up with NO crap! Hope you have a great year!

Joy said...

I can't believe how you got the front of the bus shining. This is a big adjustment year for you. I admire you Betty. I'm not sure I could drive kids around. My daughter use to call me on her cellphone from the bus and it was so loud I could hardly hear her.
- jr hi - enough said.

Joy

Anonymous said...

What about those Mr. Clean magic erasers?