Thursday, July 8, 2010

A stitch in time, saves nine

I have made this quilt panel in honor of my father-in-law, Brad, who is battling Parkinson's disease. This panel will be sewn together with 15 other panels to make one huge 8 foot block. The blocks will be sewn together to make one gigantic Quilt for the 1st Global quilt project to focus the world's attention on this progressive disease.
The quilt (no one knows yet how big it will get) will be on display at the 2nd World Parkinson's Congress in Glasgow, Scotland on September 28th - October 1st, 2010.

Brad was diagnosed in December of 2007. He was forced to retire from his job but has not let the disease get in the way of him enjoying God's green Earth. I decided to add a fishing pole & a fish because of Brad's love for the sport. This is one of the things he can still do that the disease has not robbed him of enjoying. Bagel is what my girls call Brad instead of Grandpa. A nickname that Meg coined when she was just 2 1/2 years old. It stuck and they still call him Bagel to this day.


Brad nor I may never touch the completed giant quilt but I hope, nonetheless, that it will touch the lives of many others.

It has been my honor, to honor my father-in-law, & to be a part of this project...& in this small way I helped in raising awareness!

To Brad- I pray that you will keep enjoying life to it's fullest! That you have many, many more years of fishing ahead of you.That you will never lose heart and when you get down just know that God will carry you.
With love- Betty






4 comments:

Betty W said...

How sweet of you Betty! The Quilt looks awesome! Such detail. I´m sure it will look great in the bigger project.
My MIL has Parkinson too, so I know what you´re talking about.

Melody said...

Very sweet. Good luck to Brad.

Barbara said...

Beautiful!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Thanks for this wonderful tribute. Bagel -