Monday, September 15, 2008

***Warning***

I'm writing this post to warn all you pet lovers of this horrific product. Sergeants Gold flea & tick medication. I bought some at Wal-Mart yesterday after church. I planned on treating Reeses( 8 pound Chihuahua) that afternoon. I didn't get around to it until that evening around 7pm. So everything was fine and dandy...he was acting normal and I was enjoying my book. Then about an hour later, I was blogging, and Reeses started acting real strange. He smelled real strong of cinnamon....I thought he had laid on one of the therapy wraps so I didn't pay much more attention to it. He started burping....strange, I never heard a dog burp before. Hiccups followed. Then he started running around all crazy, laying down, getting up 5 seconds later, running upstairs, running in circles on the bed....he couldn't get comfortable. He then started drooling, alot...I still didn't think that the medicine I treated him with could be causing this. Thats when he began to vomit violently. This went on for at least 30 minutes. After he got over that he started dragging his back legs when he walked and would stop and gnaw at them. John woke up and I explained all that had been going on. I was freaking out at this point. He immediately said to give him a tubby and rinse the flea medication off him.(why didn't I think of this?!!!) So I did. I washed him in oatmeal soap. He seemed to settle down about an hour later, although he was still scratching and was more restless then usual. At this point it was 10:30 pm.
John called me at 1:15 am. (he was at work) he had gone on-line to research the product. He said what he had been reading has scared him enough to wake me up. This has happened to other dogs and some have actually died from it. Reeses had the same symptoms as the other dogs. He said to give him another tubby and wash him with dish soap to get the oily film of the medication off his skin. Have you ever bathed a dog at 1 am....not fun. He didn't understand what was going on. I was soaking wet. We crawled back into bed around 2 am. Reeses tossed and turned and gnawed at his back legs. I called John....What should I do?! We decided that I would bath him again in a few hours and see how he is then. So at 4 am I woke up and he got yet another tubby. This one seemed to relax him more then the other, but he still just wasn't the same little dog that I'm use to. I finally decided to call our Vet...who happenes to be one of my best friends (her & hubby both are Vets and they are in our bible study group) She said I have done everything right so far....after 3 baths the POISON yes, POISON is most likely off his skin. Now, it's just supportive care. I need to give him 3 ml of Children's Benedryl, keep him warm and watch for seizures, fever and tremors. Oh my goodness....all this 'cause I was trying to prevent fleas and ticks from getting on his tiny body. So I took off work to watch him closely. He is my baby after all. I pray that he gets better soon.
He is finally resting at this moment. I'm exhausted!!! It was like having a newborn all over again.

I won't be using any more products like that on him. It's all natural now!!!! I'll make my own.

SO please heed my warning....DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!!!

18 comments:

fawn & fern said...

aw that picture makes me so sad!
<3

Natalie Freeman said...

Poor Reeses!!! :(

Rene said...

Oh my! The poor little thing. I think he deserves lots of momma love today!!

Julie said...

poor little guy, so sorry!

Heather said...

Thanks for the warning! That poor baby (and you, too). Puppies become a part of your family; it's so hard to watch them get sick. Especially from something that's supposed to help them!

Hope he's all better soon!

Melody said...

When I lived in KY fleas and ticks were a HUGE big deal. I used the stuff that the vet had in her office. I think it was called Frontline. It was pricy-er than the other stuff, but it worked. My cats never had a reaction to it. I'm not sure if it is the same for dogs.

BTW, did all of the dogs with reactions (that your husband looked up on the net) have medicine that came from WalMart? Because of personal experience, I am highly suspicious that some of WalMart's products are factory seconds.

I'm glad that your little doggy pulled through!

Britt said...

Poor puppy :o( I hope he feels better soon!

Your header picture is Gorgeous!

Thanks so much for stopping by today!

katylinvw said...

oh my word! how scarey! hope he starts feeling better very soon!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Oh my gosh, what a wild night! How weird that one product could cause such strange behavior. I will definitely avoid it for my dog!
Carrie

Fit Me Pink said...

Just poppin' in from SITS to say Hi! Right now, three kids are enough to worry about. Geez,sorry about your little guy..that's awful!

Becky said...

Wow, you are so lucky you were home to take care of him. It sounds really dangerous!

I'm glad he is doing better!! His picture is so cute.

Get some rest!

Aubrey said...

Poor little Reeses! I was so scared for you while reading that! I hope he is feeling better. Thanks for the warning and I will be sure to steer clear of that product!

BTW, I know you are prob exhausted but I tagged you for a meme! If you feel up to it, play along!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! Why are they even allowed to sell something like that on the market! It should be banned! My mom works in a call center and she is handling the pet food case recall. It's heart-breaking to hear about some of her phone calls and how people lost pets.

The Nice One said...

Poor baby.
I've heard other stories similar about that particular product.
If you do make your own, I'll be interested to hear about that.

nikkicrumpet said...

Oh my...that must have been so scary. It is so hard when our furbabies are sick because they can't tell you what is wrong. How awful! I sure hope he is feeling better. We have to flea & tick our dogs here in New England because the ticks are HORRIBLE here. I use advantix and it works really well. I haven't had any problems with either of my dogs.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elise said...

I was so glad to see him running around with the kiddos!
I'm glad that he is doing better!!

Domestic Executive said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today on the BATW flight to New Zealand. Was cruising your blog and saw this post and really felt for you.

We use flee flea for my bassets - it goes on their food every day and keeps the bugs away. No need for any shampoos then.

Best wishes, Julie