Sunday, June 29, 2008

Healthy Servents

So I attended the Women's Ministry at my church Saturday morning. It was on nutrition and exercise. Paul urges us to live our lives in a way that honors God. The way we live our lives is a form of worship to God. When we eat healthy and exercise daily (at least a walk) we are making our heart stronger, losing weight, building muscle and releasing happy hormones. But most of all we are Glorifying God!!! We were all asked to make a healthy dish and bring the recipe. I decided to make Black Bean Hummus.
The Ingredients:


  • 2 cups black beans, drained
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • hot pepper sauce (to taste)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons tamari
  • 2 tablespoons warm water
  • 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
I prefer to use organic and fresh as much as possible. The beans are organic, as well as the tamari and Tahini. The cilantro is from my garden. In case you are not familiar with some of the ingredients; I'll explain them to you. Tamari is a soy sauce that is made with more soy beans than ordinary soy sauce. It is richer and has a more complex taste. Tahini is just Sesame Seeds that have been pureed into a creamy texture. It has a slight nutty taste.


Combine all ingredients except for cilantro in blender or food processor. ( I do everything in my blender)When all is combined and creamy, transfer to bowl. Fold in cilantro. Taste test and adjust seasonings if needed.


Serve with blue organic tortilla chips. YUM! There are only about 90 calories in 2 oz. Not bad at all. I was hoping to have some left over but, the bowl was scraped clean. All the food was healthy, light and delicious. When John came home we decided to go eat Sushi; so I really ate healthy today. I'm a pretty healthy person anyway, so are John & the girls...but something hit me while I was sitting in that room listening to Kay speak. I've be relying on myself all this time. So for now on I'm going to let Jesus be my personal trainer.

Proverbs 17:22 says “A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing, but a broken spirit dries up the bones.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I was surprised to find my link on your page! Thanks! I am an old friend of Barabara Jean's from elementary school, and I don't know if we have ever formally met. She used to call me Katie- I was the military brat that moved around alot...anyhew- I love your myspace and your blog...your girls are georgous and I always loved being around your family! I really enjoy your pictures of the dishes you are serving up. I hope you enjoy my page as much as I am enjoying yours. Cheers,
Katherine